Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Groundhog Day


Did you ever see the movie “Groundhog Day” with Bill Murray who keeps living the same day over and over again?  Sometimes running your park seems that way.                

Having been involved in this industry since I was 10 years old there are some things that I have seen over and over again.  For Example: When a group of park owners & operators get together you will always hear someone say, “ Yes, but my park is a little different”.  They are correct.  I have never seen two parks that were exactly alike.   There are many categories we use to distinguish our parks in the industry.  We use terms like ONS (Overnight Stop), Destination, Resort, Campground, RV Park, Snowbird, Long Term and the list could continue on & on.

So, how do we find the common ground for everyone in this industry?  I believe it is each parksuniqueness that makes us alike.  This is our commonality.  I know what you’re thinking, yes but there are also Small, Medium, Large, & Mega Parks to consider, so let’s do that.  I am not a respecter of size of the park.  Granted, each has a set of problems & issues they face.  It is all relative.  A Small Parks problem is just as real as a Mega Parks & visa versa when you look at them as a percentage of investment, budget, manpower, etc.

I have learned something from every category in this industry.  I got ideas that maybe wouldn’t necessarily work for me until I took that idea and molded it into something that fit my uniqueness. As the new ARVC Director of Membership & Public Affairs I will always be encouraging you to embrace the idea that it is our uniqueness that is our bond.

Still kicking the tires,  Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment